This weeks blog post is following on from last weeks which was all about electrical safety at Christmas.
I think we can all agree that it is the prettiest time of the year with all the lights and decorations everywhere. However electrical safety is rarely thought about during the festivities and there is some scary statistics with christmas decorations and fires.
The NICEIC have shared a very helpful factsheet on their website which we are sharing with you on our blog. Last week was about Christmas lights and this weeks post is about outdoor lighting.
- Only purchase/use outside Christmas lights that have been specifically designed to be used outside. Always check the manufacturers instructions.
- All outside sockets that are used must have RCD protection for safety. An RCD (Residual Current Device) works by switching off the flow of electricity when a cable or flex is cut.
- Any fixed or permanent outside lighting should be installed by a registered electrician to ensure it complies with the appropriate safety standards.
Fire and rescue services across the country regularly issue warnings about the increased potential for house fires around Christmas time.
Dry Christmas trees, cards, decorations and all candles are all potential hazards which provide a means of fire to spread in the home.
Keep decorations and cards away from fires and other heat sources such as light fittings, sockets and charging equipment.
We hope that you find some of these safety tips helpful to ensure you and your family have a safe Christmas.
If you are looking for a register electrician in St. Albans or anywhere in Herts or London then Fulcher Edwards can ensure the electrical safety of your home before Christmas. Or even if you just need the advice of electrician then Fulcher Edwards would be more than happy to help. Just give us a call or use the Contact Us Form.
You can also search for a registered electrical contractor in St Albans by visiting niceic.com or the electricalsafetyregsiter.com and typing in your postcode.