The Office for National Statistics recently confirmed that 60% of smokers wish they could give up. Therefore with New Years Resolutions into full swing, many people will be attempting to give up smoking this January. Some people will go cold turkey, while others might use the alternative of e-cigarettes. Especially with Public Health England stating that e-cigarettes are 95% less harmful than regular cigarettes. However are they safe? Especially with reports emerging of them causing fires and injury.
Keeping Your E-Cigarette Safe
We fully support these tips and advice provided by Electrical Safety First:
- Don’t leave your e-cigarette charging for a long period of time. According to e-cigarette manufacturers ‘blu’ it should only take 4 hours to fully charge. Overcharging the battery can result in damaging it.
- Ensure the charger has the CE mark on it. The CE mark states that it complies with European Safety Standards.
- Don’t leave your e-cigarette charging overnight or when you’re not in the house. As if any dangers occurred you would be unaware.
- Keep your e-cigarette and batteries stored in a safe place. Any damage could result in them becoming unsafe to use.
- Follow the manufacturers instructions carefully. You want to make sure you are using the correct charger voltage to eliminate potential danger.
We also suggest that you only buy genuine chargers, ideally from the manufacturer. Fires are more likely to be caused by fake chargers. Furthermore, they could cause internal damage to the e-cigarette. Making it more likely to explode and injure you in the process.
Electrical Safety First have created this video to highlight the dangers of e-cigarette chargers. You can watch it HERE.
If you have been a using a fake charger, then it would be a good idea to call a qualified and registered electrician to check if any damage has been caused. They’re likely to suggest an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) which will involve inspecting the wiring in your home to see if any damage has occurred. It is better to be safe than sorry as electrical fires can start unnoticed inside walls.