Archives for July 2019

Electrical Safety in your Student Accommodation

School is nearly out for summer and one thing that will be on the to do list for some families will be looking or even moving into student accommodation in time for September. Electrical safety is an important consideration at this time which can range from niggly problems such as the electric tripping just as you’re about to save your work on your laptop or MacBook, to serious electrical issues that could cause electrical injury or even death.

Making the best start on university housing
It will soon become apparent that there is a problem with your student housing. The unfortunate reality is that once you have signed the tenancy agreement, it will become a lot more difficult to rectify the issue in the future. It is far easier to be aware of potential pitfalls before making the final decision on which housing to opt for.

What Should You Look Out?

Dangerous electrics at best can be a menace. In the worst instance it can kill. When viewing the property there are often tell tale signs that the electrics are not in the best of conditions. An over reliance of extension leads is a tell tale sign that there are not enough electric sockets in the rooms for example. Too few sockets is a sign of dated electrics and there could well be other problems. Pay attention to how the current tenants are living and the condition of the other electric fittings such as switches and sockets. Signs of discolouration, metal backed sockets and broken fittings are all signs that the electrics need some attention.

With electricity, everything is neatly hidden away. Therefore it is tricky to see if there is a problem with electrics that otherwise look good. The only way of knowing is for a qualified and registered electrician carrying out an electrical safety inspection of the property electrics, this is known as an Electrical Installation Condition Report aka an EICR. If the property is satisfactory than a certificate is issued to confirm this. It is important that as the tenant you ask to view this certificate as it is in your right to see it.
Landlords Responsibilities
The recommendations are for landlords to carry out an EICR every 5 years or with every change of tenant. Although it is not the law to have an EICR carried out, landlords must still show how they ensure the electrical safety of their tenants. Most reputable landlords carry out an EICR on their property.

Portable Appliance Testing (PAT Testing)

Whilst it can be quite handy to have a washing machine and fridge freezer ready to use in your property, it is important that the appliances are actually safe to use. Faulty or dangerous appliances can cause fire or electric shock. Landlords who supply electrical equipment should have any portable equipment PAT tested (aka portable appliance testing) regularly to ensure that the equipment remains safe to use.

Always ask to see the EICR certificate and evidence of PAT testing before signing the tenancy agreement.
Electricity can and does kill so it’s important to take it seriously. Ensuring that your property will be electrically safe is the best thing you can do prior to moving into your student property.
Read more

The Importance of Having a Smoke Alarm!

Majority of us are aware of the benefits of installing solar panels on our home. Once you get past the initial installation costs, solar panels reduce your energy bills and help the planet! However, what if solar panels were a possible cause of a house fire?smoke alarm installer in st albans london

We recently came across a Facebook post in which a families house had set on a fire. The lady responsible for the post gave us permission to share her story. Thankfully nobody was hurt, however their house has suffered serious damage and also many family memories have now been lost and destroyed. Furthermore, the forensics team believe it was their solar panels which caused the house fire. This emphasises the importance of regularly servicing and checking your solar panels.

The Facebook poster praised the fact that her Electrician had put a hard wired smoke alarm system in her loft. Once the smoke alarm in their loft detected smoke, it triggered all the other smoke alarms around their house to sound. Immediately alerting the family of a potential fire. At Fulcher Edwards Ltd, every Tuesday we preach the importance of testing your smoke alarm/fire alarm system. Test it Tuesday is a helpful reminder to carry out weekly tests, as alarms can only save lives if they’re working! At home you could get the kids involved by making them your Test It Tuesday Champion. In the office you should have a ‘responsible person’ who carries out weekly tests on the alarm system.

smoke alarm installer in st albans london

Finally, the Facebook poster also expressed the importance of sufficient home insurance. They also recommend making the whole family aware of the fire alarm system and what to do in the event of a fire.

Please contact us HERE if you would like to find out more about installing a smoke alarm.

 

Read more